Filters enable you to narrow down your student population based on specific characteristics. Each filter category has options that identify various groups of your student population. Adding the ability to filter by Prediction Score will allow you to easily identify students most at risk of not persisting.
You can filter for one or more prediction groups (e.g. Low, Moderate, Very High) to:
- See updated Powerful Predictors, highlighting the specific factors that have had the greatest influence on whether historical students in the prediction group persisted or did not persist
- Download a student list including multiple persistence prediction groups
After filtering by prediction score, review the list of Powerful Predictors to understand which variables are most predictive of persistence for this filtered group.
Interpreting Powerful Predictors
Powerful Predictors are the variables that are most predictive of persistence at your institution. The list of Powerful Predictors updates dynamically as filters are added. This allows you to see what factors had the greatest influence on whether students with certain characteristics persisted or did not persist.
To review the Powerful Predictors for the Moderate prediction group, start by applying the Prediction Score filter:
- From the Prediction Score filter, add the Moderate prediction group. Click Apply Changes beneath the filter list to refresh the Overview page.
- Review the Overview page. See insights for the Moderate prediction group only, including an updated persistence prediction and refreshed Powerful Predictors. This list will now show the top factors that have historically contributed to students in this group being more or less likely to persist.
- Take a closer look at the Powerful Predictors for this group. These factors provide insight into what behaviors make students with Moderate predictions who persist different from students with Moderate predictions who do not persist. Powerful Predictors do not show how students with Moderate prediction scores are different from students in other prediction groups or any other student group.
Take action by downloading a list of current students in one or more persistence prediction groups and use your knowledge of what factors influence persistence for these students to inform your outreach.
How to download a student list:
- From the Prediction Score filter, add one or more prediction groups (e.g. Very Low and Low).
The Prediction Distribution in the upper righthand corner will refresh to include only the prediction groups you have selected.
- Click the blue Active Students link above Active Filters, which lists the filters you’ve added. This link will indicate how many students are included in the filtered student group (e.g. 1,252 of 8,454 Active Students). The student list will include all students who are currently enrolled in at least one course with a persistence prediction score in the selected group(s).
- Download the student list as a .csv file by clicking the Export Student List button in the upper righthand corner of the list. The student list will include all students who are currently enrolled in at least one course with a persistence prediction score in the selected group(s).