Advising provides your team with tools to support virtual advising. Following are strategies for how you can use its features to support this transition.
- Advanced Filters & Prediction Score
- Courses Data: Using LMS data to monitor engagement
- Advising Notes: Documenting interactions & following up
- Dynamic & Static Groups
Advanced Filters & Prediction Score
Advising's advanced filters and prediction scores allow you to drill down to student populations that may be most in need. As you develop your virtual advising plan, the strategies outlined below might be helpful as you organize your approach.
Provide high-touch outreach to students with the lowest persistence scores
- From the student list (advise >advising management: students), apply filters for students with a very low, low, or moderate persistence score.
- High-touch outreach could include video calls or phone calls or some sort of chat with the student via electronic media.
Focus supporting students that are enrolled in on-ground courses
- From advanced search, use the student modality filter to identify students that are enrolled in “on-ground” courses only. These students may need additional support in adapting to completing coursework from a distance. Outreach to these students might include tips for being successful in a remote class, navigating the LMS, or guidance to available online resources.
Learn more here: Leveraging the Persistence Prediction
Courses Data: Using LMS data to monitor engagement
For individual students, information available on a student’s Courses page can provide you with insight into a students’ academic history, as well as insight into course engagement for the current term.
- Use the LMS data on the Courses page to track engagement in courses throughout the term. Here you’ll find engagement data compared to the section average. This data lets you target students who are not taking advantage of that platform.
Learn more here: LMS Data to Support Holistic Advising
Advising Notes: Documenting interactions & following up
- Document your interactions with students using Advising Notes. Share those notes with others who also support students through the sharing functionality.
- Use the star functionality to indicate advising notes for students who require a follow-up, in order to keep track of students who you referred to services or who may need extra support.
Learn more here: Advising Notes Overview
Dynamic & Static Groups
Advising's Groups are a great way to organize students into different subpopulations, making it easier to manage how you’d like to focus your support.
- Use the group functionality to create dynamic groups based on persistence scores or other criteria important to your school. For example, students who started last fall or this spring and are in their first year.
- Use static groups to create groups of students who you want to provide extra services to during this time. For example, students who disclose that they are experiencing challenges or students who belong to a program.
Learn more here: Groups